Episode 39 | The Many Sounds of Ambient Music

Music that as ignorable as it is interesting - this is how musician Brian Eno described the genre he named ambient music. This episode looks at the history behind ambient music, starting in the early 20th century with Erik Satie's "furniture music' to today with rapper and flute player AndrĂ© 3000's latest album called New Blue Sun. Whether its nature sounds, flutes, synthesisers or just plain silence, this genre is sure to either fascinate you or weird you out! 

Where to listen:

Spotify

Apple Podcasts

Google Podcasts

Sources consulted:

Playlist of songs:

  • Satie: Musique d'ameublement: Tapisserie en fer forgĂ© - Erik Satie
  • Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground - Blind Willie Johnson
  • 4'33 - John Cage
  • To Drift Like Clouds - Tony Scott
  • Lullaby - Raymond Scott
  • Sleepy Time - Raymond Scott
  • The Psychologically Ultimate Seashore - Irv Teibel
  • The Unquestioned Answer - Laurie Spiegel
  • Discreet Music - Brian Eno
  • 1/1 - Brian Eno
  • Xtal - Aphex Twin
  • Stratus - Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
  • I Swear, I Really Wanted to Make a 'Rap' Album but This Is Literally the Way the Wind Blew Me This Time - AndrĂ© 3000
  • That Night in Hawaii When I Turned into a Panther and Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn't Control ... Sh¥t Was Wild - AndrĂ© 3000


Comments